Wednesday, June 30, 2010

As Seen On TV. Maybe.

So stuff's been happening around here. Most of it uneventful, but it's amazing how busy a girl can be when she's trying to avoid the box of vanilla cream filled cookies in the pantry.

I've spent the past week overhauling the apartment. I'm overwhelmed with desire to have LESS. Scratch that. I'm overwhelmed with the desire for SPACE. Maybe it's all the Matchbox cars or the stickers or the cat hair but I just want to stand in the middle of my teensy living room and spin like Wonder Woman until I tornado away the years of accumulated crap. I've sorted through all our old boxes, organized the closets, tackled my teetering pile of "research" (unread magazines), and sent 10 overstuffed bags of baby clothes to Salvation Army. (That last part was hard. I've been holding onto every little tee just in case we have another. But I've had to accept the fact that there will always be BabyGap sale rack.) I've even gone through my old taxes and shredded them for the compost pile! Of course what I haven't done is write anything.

I've had the wind taken out of my sails a bit recently. I was recently assigned my first big feature - which was pulled when the subject's PR team decided they wanted to be paid for the interview. (5 months of work, and many expensive overseas calls, wasted.) Another piece was a yes until the Editor-In-Chief got canned. It may come as a shock, what with all the magazines that have folded recently, but finding a job as a writer isn't so easy. Budgets for freelancers are getting pulled, so stuff that used to be doled out to the little people is drying up or going to writers who used to work for the NY Times. I'm getting ready to go back to school so that I can try to pick up some editing skills. Hopefully in the next few years I can move to something a little smaller, like a regional magazine. Something where I can be the buyer instead of the seller, as it were.

And in other news: I booked a commercial! I don't want to divulge too much, but I will say that:

A) Superhuman levels of enthusiasm were required. (And unfortunately recorded.)
B) I wear a visor.
C) I may be obscured by a giant foam baseball head.

But I'm getting paid! At least in theory! Will it put my kid through college? Hell, no. But it might buy 6 months worth of pre-school and that, friends, is worth its weight in overly enthusiastic catchphrases.

No comments: