Monday, September 14, 2009

CAN I DEMAND CARROT CAKE?


Why yes, my husband is awesome - at least according to his new (and very kid-friendly!) website.

"Last week I had the pleasure of visiting the marketing team at Random House for a little Powerless pre-publication pow-wow. (Alliteration, anyone?) They were gracious, enthusiastic and made me feel like a real honest-to-goodness author.

And they fed me cupcakes.

I suspect that this is a privilege reserved for only the select few. I suspect there are a whole host of authors out there who, upon reading this, might place a frantic early-morning call to their agents and editors demanding to re-negotiate their contracts to insure a cupcake clause. But I am sorry to share the following, daunting publishing facts with you:

  • Of the percentage of writers who garner the majority of their income from writing, less than 5% are given cupcakes.
  • Of that 5% (let’s call them the cupcake class), less than 3% are offered a choice of vanilla OR chocolate, and their quantities are severely limited.
  • This leaves a minuscule 1.5% of published authors who are provided a choice of cupcake flavors and encouraged to eat their fill.

Them’s the tough facts, folks. So what I’m saying is – don’t quite carrying around your own snack cakes."

No comments: