Saturday, April 18, 2009

THINGS ALISHA LOVES, early morning edition

All-new! Equally narcissistic!

- I'm going to weed out the weak by starting out totally sappy, but taking a walk in the early morning hours is pretty close to greatness. The boy and I wander down our tree-lined street and call out to neighbors and pigeons and sniff the brown sugar scented air (it pays to live near a pie shop). The city's still sleepy and shushed, the movie-quality sunlight... In these moments I can't imagine a better place to be.

- A brainiac kid I used to babysit turned me on to Making Fiends like 4 years ago. The big cartoon companies sniffed around for awhile (maybe they even bought it, who knows) but it's still dark and low-tech and funnnny. Start with the Season 1 webisodes.

- I'm totally putting this gorgeous graphic up in the boy's room. You can't stop me.

- Chickalicious! An all-dessert restaurant! Lemongrass Panna Cotta with Pineapple Sorbet and Cilantro Agar Agar Gelee? I don't know what half those words mean but you bet your sweet belly I'm gonna find out!

- I think it's safe to say that I should not be unleashed anywhere near the Regional Assembly of Text.

- The gals behind the clothing line Parable Ink are not only nice, they're so nice. Plus they made this tunic dress that I've worn the shit out of, even while pregnant. Throw it over jeans with a long-sleeve tee or wear as a (dangerously short) dress during the summer - it's always good to go. Plus it hides a myriad of sins (or trips to Chickalicious).

- Blockhead's powerful $3 margaritas. It's 78 degrees today and they're only 8 blocks away. You do the math.

- Christina Hendricks' amazing figure on Mad Men.

- Industrial strength Irish Breakfast tea with sugar and soy milk. Hot. Guaranteed to perk the grouchiest morning.

- I've decided that it's time to find a new signature scent. I still love my Demeter fragrances (Tomato and Dirt) but think it's time for something new. I checked out CB I Hate Perfume (yes, that's the name of the store) in Brooklyn a few years ago and was impressed. Unfortunately I wasn't flush enough to shell out the big bucks for a custom scent. That said, I think I might start saving my pennies for "Memory Of A Kindness" or perhaps "Mr. Hulot's Holiday" or "Winter 1972". Twee? You bet. Divine? Indeed.

- I have the beta version of this Bodum coffee maker that I bought on deep discount before it was discontinued. It's awesome, but I crave the sexy hourglass shape of the new one.

- Useless pop culture trivia. Who knew Philip Glass was Ira Glass' cousin?

- Determining the appeal of Twitter. Just as I was about to toss aside my Twitter account, it sunk it's claws. How? Neil Gaiman. I'm still not sure why Twitter resonates with normal people but between fantasizing that Neil is my new BFF, head-nodding to John Mayer's* refreshingly unawful posts ("Okay, this handful of M&Ms I'm going to eat one at a tim-- shit. Okay, this handful I'm going to eat one at a -- SHIT! Okay, this handful..."), or reading Questlove's thoughts while taping Jimmy Fallon's talk show ("dog i know this shit sounds weak, but this mofo Elmo got me star struck like a motherfucker"), I'm having a ball. Er, that might be taking things a little far but did I mention that Yoko Ono is Following me?


*Let me state for the record that I have no interest in John Mayer as a musician. For the record.

No comments: