Monday, November 26, 2007

Stubborn.

So I'm halfway through week 37, which is pretty much like week 36, only with more unnecessary panic.

On Saturday I went to the gym for the first time in weeks. (Okay, months.) Somehow between the working and the nesting (read: puttering), the gym hasn't exactly been top priority. But seeing as how I'm due in a minute and a half, I'm getting a little nervous about the fact that this kid hasn't dropped. I was certain that he was going to be early, but between the lack of downward momentum (and dilation) I'm starting to think he might never come out.

That can't happen, right?

So anyway, I decided to help things along a bit by hitting the treadmill. I took it easy (less like "hitting" and more like "meandering") but I still ended up stopping after 20 minutes. My Braxton-Hicks were coming fast and furious (for those not in the know, Braxton-Hicks are like pre-contractions. Painless, but still weird) so I decided to call it a day.

After I climbed the 12 flights to our apartment.

Which is maybe why I started bleeding.

Let me preface this by saying that there was very little blood. Just a bit of spotting really. That said, I am nothing if not proactive (read: fiercely panicky) when it comes to medical stuff so I rang up the doc right quick. She was great, very calming... told me that I'd probably just irritated my cervix and that I'd probably notice some contractions and that might go into labor in the next few days and - WHAT?!!!

There is nothing like your doctor implying that labor is imminent to get you started on that damn hospital bag.

So yesterday I hauled myself in to get checked. Because they were squeezing me in I wasn't able to pick a doctor and unfortunately I landed the head of the practice, Doctor Grouchypants. (I was hoping for one of the others, perhaps Doctor Calming or Doctor Comfortingly Gay.) Let's just say, Grouchypants was having none of me.

"So why are you here?"

"Well, I started bleeding over the weekend -"

"Contractions?"

"No."

"Baby moving?"

"Yes."

"So what caused the bleeding?"

"Well, it might've been because I went to the gym for the first time -"

"Oh that's smart, waiting until the last two weeks of your pregnancy to start working out."

"Um..."

"Why the sudden interest in the gym?"

"Well I was trying to drop the baby -"

"Why would you want to do that?"

"Um..."

It pretty much went downhill from there. He checked me for dilation ("Lots of pressure.... lots of pressure...") and said I was fine. You know, aside from feeling like a total asshat for trying to rush things. After all that, Possum still hasn't dropped and I'm still not dilated.

And yes, as soon as I'm done with this I'm heading back to the gym. Grouchypants said it was okay as long as I go slow. (How much slower than slow can I go?)

But this time I think I'll take the elevator.

*Editor's note: Didn't end up going to the gym after all. Decided to putter instead.

No comments: