Tuesday, August 7, 2007

You break it, you buy it.

Pregnant bellies - to touch or not to touch? That is the early morning question. Having been caressed by more strangers than a puppy at the pound, I can say with absolute certainty that I loathe it. Yes it's practically irresistible (so round!) but it's still my stomach. (If someone went around stroking the bellies of non-pregnant strangers, the cops would be called.) Yet I can't quite bring myself to tell people to stop. It seems rude somehow, like I'm shunning a hug. (Which, coming from a stranger, I would.) I'm sure there's a way of handling this politely but for the life of me I can't think how. Slapping peoples' hands away seems a touch reactive. Anyone else get weirded out by this? Or did you enjoy the attention?

(Friends and family, you are welcome to touch. Just let me know it's coming first.)

2 comments:

Woman with a Hatchet said...

Yelling "Hey! Whoa! Do I KNOW you?!" doesn't work for you? : )

I've had ONE stranger touch my belly. Only friends and family get to and most of them give me plenty of notice before it's about to happen. I find it incredibly rude for strangers to do such an intimate thing, especially if your belly actually hurts.

Think of it as your chance to teach strangers that women, even pregnant women, have bodily integrity. Would they want strangers touching their kid's belly?

But then, I'm obnoxious that way.

Missy said...

A couple of suggestions:

1. Give 'em the finger
2. Have a large button made that reads do not touch, OR can I touch yours? (maybe not so much the second one, people might get the wrong idea.
3. Kick 'em and blame it on an uncontrollable symptom of your pregnancy..stranger touches my belly my leg automatically kicks.