While I'd rather eat my own hair than brave another NYC winter, I do loves the fall foliage. So when Owen's preschool announced that we would all be going on an apple picking trip, I hastened to sign up. Which is a polite way of saying that I might have injured some people.
APPLE PICKING! Who knew that you could pick apples right off the tree? I mean I knew it in theory, but actually walking up to a tree and picking the apple right off? And eating it? Mind-blowing. Something else that's mind-blowing? Trees. We don't see many of them here in the big city. And don't give me that nonsense about Central Park. Elbowing banjo toting hipsters is fine, but sometimes a girl wants more than a view of a thousand straw fedoras.
The boy had a swell time. First of all he got to ride a bus, which would have been awesome enough on its own. We're smack dab in the middle of Toddler Transportation Obsession and riding on a bus with 40 of his closest friends was more than he'd hoped for. Good thing too, because the trip lasted 2 hours and photosynthesis isn't all that fascinating to a 2-year-old.
- The orchard was beautiful and made me wonder why I'm living in a 46-story slab of concrete.
- Owen ate 3 apples, one right after the other. We won't discuss the aftermath.
- Apple cider donuts are worth the investigation.
- The unspeakable adorableness of baby pigs may turn you temporarily vegetarian.
- No one under the age of 10 will willingly eat a nutritious lunch near a lifesize toy car.